re-posted from the comments section with some edits
I think this news about Walker's 1 year deal is bigger than what it may appear to be at first blush. I cannot believe I am saying this, but KD may have a chance to win a national championship next year!! Wow. Think about this scenario.
- Walker's 1 year contract basically ensures that he is gone after '07. There is no other reasonable way to look at it. He is going to fulfill his dream of being a head coach.
- KD will have to replace his star DC for '08 ... a 4th DC in 6 years.
- '07 will be KD's best chance to win the Pac-10. That is a given we have long discussed - so many returning starters and seniors and a favorable schedule.
- KD and DW want to move to higher ground, KD to coach in the NFL, DW to become a head coach in college - long since publicly stated. After next year their reputations will be at their peaks and they lose nearly every starter to graduation. It will be the best time to make their moves.
- Svoboda will be out as OC after the Emerald Bowl. KD notoriously needs a scapegoat. He will not take the OC position himself, despite his 'offensive genius.' He needs to hire a new OC.
- Any potential new OC will know all the facts above.
- KD should sell the 1 shot "championship run" angle to the best OC out there looking for a jump up in status himself. This may be the one opportunity out there that gives a great OC a chance to step up and shine in the first year, knowing that UCLA will not expect him to stick around.
And the funny thing is KD will get all the credit, which is fine with me. KD will go to the NFL and suck it up or whatever. We will have our great year and a new coach in '08 to build on that year. It's the perfect storm.