I went back to an August 10 post and got the list of 21 reasons why CTS should be fired. I have tried to update them, but this should probably be double-checked by McCloskey. (I have highlighted numbers that I changed and explained the change in parenthises)
- 1-4 against Southern Cal. (Thanks to a nice game that showed us having more punts (11) than first downs (10) and showed us going 0 for 11 on third down)
- No Pac-10 championships. (This year tied for fourth)
- No BCS bowl games.
- 1-11 on the road against teams with a winning record. (We only played one team on the road that had a winning record at the time - justsc.)
- Worst starting 3- AND 4- AND 5- year record of any UCLA football coach since Billy Barnes, including Bob Toledo who was fired. (Records (ties not counted): CTS - 35-27 (564); Toledo - 35-23 (603); Donahue - 38-17 (691); Vermeil 15-5 (750); Rodgers 19-12 (612); Prothro 35-13 (729); Barnes 26-22 (541).)
- Worse winning percentage than Bob Toledo, who was fired, and worst winning percentage since Barnes, who was fired.
- 5-13 against ranked teams. (wins against Cal and Oregon, losses against ASU and justsc)
- 4-9 against top 10 teams. (wins against Cal and Oregon, losses against ASU and justsc)
- Only 7 conference wins against teams who finished over .500.
24-18 against Pac-10 teams.
- 11-19 against teams with a winning record. (Wins against BYU, Cal, OU, losses to ASU, justsc)
- 14 losses to unranked teams. (Utah, ND, WSU, AZ)
- He has a losing record after October, 7-15. (win against Oregon, losses to AZ, WSU, justsc)
- Embarrassing losses to Wyoming, Fresno State, Arizona, Southern Cal, Utah, Notre Dame.
- Revolving door for assistant coaches (25 in 5 years). (I made no changes here.)
- 4th OC in 5 years, 4th OL coach in 5 years. (I made no changes here.)
- 4th in conference standings during his 4 years. (I didn't make a change here - we were fourth this year, and I figured it would still be fourth if I did a bunch of calculating.)
- 4th in conference record during his 4 years. (No changes here, either.)
- 5th in conference in overall during his 4 years. (Ditto.)
I would also add the following stats from this year, CTS's fifth with his "unstoppable" West Coast Offense:
Points per game: 22.9 (92nd in D-1)
Yds per game: 335.1 (96th)
Pass yds: 2220 or 185 per game (98th)
Rush yards: 1801 or 150 per game (64th)
3rd down %: 32.1 (106th)
4th downs made: 4 (115th)
Penalties: 92 (101st) (Note: I can't tell if these are offensive or defensive or both - I assume both)
Penalty yards: 761 (92nd)
Time of possession: 28:35 (98th)
And for the Dy-No-Mite fanatics, try these numbers. (I haven't looked to see what they were before Dy-No-Myte took over.)
Points per game: 22.8 (34th out of 119)
yds per game: 349.8 (36th)
Pass yards: 2812 or 234.3 per game (70th)
Rush yards: 1385 or 115.4 per game (25th)
My take on Dy-No-Mite - roughly a third of his colleagues are better than him. (Maybe to be more accurate, a third of his colleagues produce better results than he does.)
Anyone want to enhance these numbers and send them to DG with a nice cover note?