Musings of an Old Man
1. On tournaments and seeding: I think we should have had a #1 West locked up no matter the tourney. UNC a clear #1. Either Texas or Kansas, another. But, not both. They play each other, today. Winner will get a number 1; loser won't.
I didn't want to play this tournament. I didn't want to risk our players. But, I understand why we did what we did. See my post on the main page thread. Simply stated: We are winners and winners can't do anything but play to win.
2. I hate the fact that a couple of teams with overall losing records, including Ill, can win their conference tournaments and get a bid. If we don't get Ariz, Oregon and ASU in, something is wrong. sc will get in on its own, and deserves to be in.
For lots of reasons, I hate these tournaments, but I've said that enough. I just wonder how much money we make by having one and whether it really is worth it.
3. I was fully prepared to dislike OJ2 from the moment he recruited himself to sc. But, one thing kept creeping up in my mind. He is good friends with KL. And, the more I learned about KL, the more clear how straight his head is on, the more I realized that he would not be friends with a total jerk.
Interestingly, I don't think OJ2 has lived up to his hype on either end. He's not the great player he was supposed to be; he's very good, but not great like KL (or DC or RW) for that matter. On the other end, he's not the asshole he was supposed to be. During the entire season, he showed poise and generosity. He may play on a team of thugs led by an idiot, but he's not acted like a thug or taken on the personna of the idiot. I hate to say this, but I kind of like him and wish him well. (I truly don't believe he'll be back next year, no matter what he says. I wonder if he is taking care of the school side of the equation. Oh, dumb me. If all that stands between his coming back is the "school side" Senora Rosa and her friends will take care of it.)
3. I wish there were a rational, basketball reason to tell KL to come back for another year. But, I don't see one. Yes he will get better under Howland, but he's more than good enough to go now.
The real issue to me is whether as a young man he wants to or needs to take another year in college.
I don't know his wants.
As to his needs, one goes to college to learn things and to gain poise and maturity.
Kevin has the poise and maturity. I listen to him talk and forget that he is a freshman. He is so bright, thoughtful and articulate, it's hard not to see him as a 5th year senior.
4. Kevin Love has brought honor to the #42 jersey taken out of retirement, temporarily, once worn by one of my favorite Bruins, Walt Hazard. Were he to stay a full 4 years, we'd have two #42 jerseys to retire -- and that would be very cool. But, I think it wrong to retire the jersey of a player who leaves early -- as much as I would have like to retire AA's. In a way, I'm glad KL is wearing WH's jersey -- cause when I see it I will think of 2 of my favorite Bruins. Thanks Walt for sharing. He did good by you.