Bumped. GO BRUINS. -N
1. We win another game in which we were out shot and out rebounded. In the end, a few very key defensive stands -- particularly on their last possession, carried the day.
2. Not to denigrate our offense, because it was good tonight as it has been all year -- but games like this are won on D, and that's what we did.
3. Games like this also reflect quality coaching and 2 of the games best went head to head. Bennett deserves all of the credit he gets. CBH had to work hard to beat him -- and interestingly enough, it was probably his compulsive attention to detail that turned the trick. He scouts inbound plays. And, we shut their last gasp play down.
4. I'm a bit surprised that we lost the lead with the starters on the floor. In past games, teams have climbed back into games against our bench only to have the starters come back in, rested, to take it back.
Statistically, the bench played almost as well as the starters -- had about the same shooting percentage and may have outrebounded them when one divides rebounds by minutes played. Obviously, most of their success was during the first half when we were rolling. Roll and JK were impressive.
5. I think the young guys are really coming along. I'm very impressed with JA. He handles the ball with confidence and makes good decisions. The better he gets the more rest DC gets and that is critical. DG always plays well.
6. The difference in the game also reflects our FT performance -- those we didn't make and the 2 AA2 did to win the game. WSU made their FT's, shooting 88.9 to our 60%.
7. We still don't put teams away. Yes, every team has a run in it, but we need to respond with one of our own.
8. I'm really proud that we didn't "tighten up" as Marques kept predicting we would. And, I was pleased to see DC's courage to take the game over rewarded.
9. JH is absolutely quiet efficiency.
10. On great teams, when needed someone steps up and today, it was Drago. For the most part he played a very complete game.
11. Uncharacteristically, we missed some very easy inside shots -- at least 4 I can think of. Just one of those days.
12. Uncharacteristically, AA2 made some outside jump shots. Good for him. But, I hope he goes back to scoring inside.
13. We need to get back to being a better 2nd half team -- to build on our leads and play like barn cats.
14. But, this was a very good win in a tough venue against a very tough team.
On to Saturday.