Bumped (B). 03rdn9 makes some great points on what needs to happen between now and next season.
So yesterday, I woke up at 5:00 am, hopped in the car, and drove to Sun Devil Stadium. I was ecstatic for about 10 minutes, then everything came crashing down. Before I get to my ultimatums, here are some thoughts that I gathered yesterday:
- My thoughts on the pistol have been solidified. Seeing a previously pathetic passing offense turn into an above average one really made me believe that Coach Chow has really begun to get the hang of the Pistol Offense. That is why I want to give Chow another year to "show me."
- CRN openly displayed that both he, and his team lack the instinct and will to win games. After Nelson Rosario was held short of the goal line on 3rd Down, the players hustled back to the ball, even with a review pending. CRN, much like he did on Oregon's goal line stand last year, rushed to the 15 yard line to call a time out-which (say the review wasn't going to happen) would have stolen all of UCLA's momentum, evening out the playing field emotionally. Look at Oregon: Chip Kelly's team was held short on 4th down and inches, and instead of huddling up and calling a play, they rushed to the line and fought for the inch they needed. Leave no doubt. Even though the review slowed down the game, 4th down and goal (all play calling aside) should always go to the offense. The only thing you need when jamming the ball up the middle is the will to beat your opponent. You have to want it more, quite simply. Jaquizz Rodgers, Shane Vareen, Kenjon Barner, Nic Grigsby, and Logwone Mitz can get those yards, so IMO it doesn't matter "who you're using" as much as it matters "how you're using." That right there folks, and the fact that UCLA's defense gave up a 99.99 yard TD drive to boot, was a microcosm of the season.
My ultimatums (so to speak) after the jump:
- Bullough needs to be canned: fundamentally flawed scheming, poor to no in game adjustments, Dorellian mismanagement of talent and developing talent, conservatism.
- Reggie Moore needs to be reevaluated: I give him credit for the development of Ricky Marvray and Randall Carroll, but the poor performance of the future J.J. Stokes (Nelson Rosario) and Taylor Embree is directly reflected in his work, not to mention the poor discipline and performance of the tight ends and F-backs (can we have Jon Embree back?)
- The receivers need to be reevaluated: no starters' jobs can be safe next year: experience or not, poor performance should be punished.
- The management of the offense in the off-season needs to be renovated: Last year, our passing game was neglected in the off-season, that should never happen with a young team- never.
- No more away-Thursday trap games such as @ Autzen, opposing team's senior day, etc. One is enough: we've learned our lesson.
- UCLA should win 8 or 9 games next year. No questions asked, or 7 with a victory over USC. Very simple IMO.
Any complaints? Things to be added?