There were some questions about what the criteria were for AD of the year. I sent an e-mail to the SportsBusiness Journal and asked them. Here's what I got in reply from David Bourne (<email@example.com>):
Here is a general idea of what we look at in determining finalists for our annual Athletic Director of the Year Award. I hope this provides what you need.
Athletic Director of the Year
Eligibility/Criteria Athletic Directors from colleges and universities in the United States. Individuals must demonstrate excellence, innovation, creativity, outstanding leadership and vision. ADs must:
- Make a significant impact on collegiate sports
- Provide a vision for their department¹s facility footprint
- Lead the department to improvements that include, but are not limited to:
- Ticket sales
- Brand strength
- Revenue and profitability
- Graduation rates
- Student, fan and client services
- Social responsibility/community relations and outreach programs
Period under Consideration January 1, 2009 February 28, 2010"
I'm not sure I understand what all these things mean, but I'm glad the SportsBusiness people noticed what Dan Guerrera has done for us.