UCLA Men's Rugby Advances to National Playoffs

Laxbruin here, wanted to share this article from  I heard there was a great crowd out for this game.  You can find the UCLA Rugby team on Facebook and on Twitter.  GO BRUINS! 


UCLA Advances to National Playoffs

By James Faccinto

April 7,2010
Westwood, CA - UCLA defeated Cal Poly SLO 24-19 Saturday to clinch its first National Playoff berth in over 30 years.        UCLA clinches National Playoff Spot
	The UCLA rugby Bruins made history Saturday. For the first time in decades 
the Bruins clinched a spot in the national playoffs with a come from behind 24-19 
victory over Cal Poly San Louis Obispo. 
	The hard-fought victory clinched the Bruins the 16th seed in the National 
Playoffs, which will take them to Atlanta, Georgia to play the two seed, California, 
in the first round. 
	The game, played in front of an uproarious home crowd, was fast paced and 
ferocious. Each team had everything to win and nothing to lose, and they played like 
it. UCLA showed improved tackling and was lead by excellent play from the back 
three all day. 
	It only took two minutes for wing Taylor Bashara to use his surprising pace to 
make a fifty-meter break and score, asserting UCLA’s dominance both on the 
scoreboard and in attack. Fullback Matt Finzen, playing his last home game as a 
Bruin, converted the kick.
	"It was big for us to get the upper hand early, but Cal Poly kept fighting 
back," Bashara said. "But I just did what I do best- I got the ball and ran real fast."
	Poly did indeed fight back, and despite sustained, tenacious goal line defense, 
were able to dot down an unconverted try in the twenty-second minute. Score 7-5.
	Only eight minutes later, however, the ever-present Bashara struck again for 
the Bruins. After receiving a high kick, Finzen returned with another high kick that 
the Poly back three failed to field. The ball bounced on the ground and bounced up 
in the air. The fleet footed Bashara was on the chase, and was able to slip behind the 
Poly wing and fullback and pick up the loose ball. He ran forty meters with no one in 
front of him into the try zone. The score went unconverted. Score 12-5 at Halftime. 
	"On one hand, we had scored twice," said shifty wing Willy Rudman of his 
feelings at halftime. "But on the other hand I was uneasy because Cal Poly was 
dangerous like they always are. All credit to those guys. They’re a class act."  
	Dangerous they were as the second half began. After only five minutes the 
Mustangs scored a try that was converted, tying the score. Things became tenser both 
on the field and in the crowd, and the next twenty minutes or so was a rough and 
tumble, no holds barred display of collegiate rugby. The hits were majestic, the 
attacks flowing, and the pressure building. 
	In the seventieth minute Cal Poly scored once more and converted, making 
the score 19-12. With ten minutes left in the game, UCLA stood up and decided to 
take the game back. 
	"It was our field, our crowd, our day," said fullback Matt Finzen. "There was 
no way we were going to lose."
	Within the last ten tense, exciting minutes of the game the Bruins scored 
again through Pierre Mays, the sterling prop forward who has lead the Bruin pack all 
year, which brought the game to 17-19 in favor of Cal Poly. 
	The Bruins needed one more score of any kind. Three points separated them 
from a spot in the Sweet Sixteen. With time waning quickly, Liam Devoy was 
subbed into the centers for Stanton Sharpe and immediately made an impact.  In the 
seventy-eighth minute Fullback Matt Finzen made a half-break and offloaded to a 
supporting Devoy, who breezed over the line and scored the try that would take the 
Bruins to Atlanta. 
	The celebration was raucous, but there was still rugby to play; there was still a 
try zone to be defended.  Poly did not give up by any means. With a few seconds on 
the clock the Poly flanker broke through UCLA’s defense. With the weak side wing 
up, there was only Finzen and Bashara for him to beat. The crowd rose to their feet. 
The flanker trumped forward, looking dangerous. Finzen and Bashara made a 
season-saving tackle, however, and drew a penalty to the Bruins. 
	Captain Pierce Cooley kicked the ball out of play, the referee blew his whistle 
to end the game, and the celebrations began. The Bruins were in the Sweet Sixteen. 
	"What a feeling," said Pierce Cooley, captain and starting scrumhalf. "What 
a feeling." 
	The Bruins will fly to Georgia on the 16th to play Cal, the number two seed, at 
Life University. 

<em>This is a FanPost and does not necessarily reflect the views of BruinsNation's (BN) editors. It does reflect the views of this particular fan though, which is as important as the views of BN's editors.</em>

Log In Sign Up

Log In Sign Up

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.

Join Bruins Nation

You must be a member of Bruins Nation to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Bruins Nation. You should read them.

Join Bruins Nation

You must be a member of Bruins Nation to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Bruins Nation. You should read them.




Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.