The LA Times ran a followup piece on their previous misleading story re. student funds being used for Pauley renovation. The paper is now reporting that UCLA is not going to use the entire $25 million which it had already earmarked for Pauley renovation a while ago:
UCLA officials have decided not to use all of the $25 million in student fees that they were planning to spend on a $185-million renovation of Pauley Pavilion, home of the school's legendary basketball team.
Vice Chancellor Steven A. Olsen said in a letter to The Times that $15 million of the student funds would go to other uses.
Again, the news about funds allocated for Pauley renovation wasn't newsworthy because as detailed previously it had been the plan all along. Moreover, there is nothing wrong IMO using student funds to renovate Pauley because uhm Pauley is geared for our students as a multi-purpose facility that goes beyond hoops.
Also, the paper ran no correction on any of its previous misinformation and falsehood about students not getting good views and the mythical "required" "one-time fee in the tens of thousands of dollars" for great seats. That is not a surprise.
Still the new report contains a very interesting new nugget concerning the project (emphasis added):
Olsen said Wednesday that bids for the project came in lower than anticipated, bringing the expected cost down to $135 million.
That price range seems relatively reasonable comparing to the initial price tag presented last year. Pretty significant news IMHO but of course LAT burried it by focusing on an issue that is kind of moot.
I am guessing there will be more followup to these developments. So please keep an eye out for updates.