Since a graduate from 2010 put in there favorite Bruin sports memories I thought we needed some from us older Bruin Alumn. My favorites from 78-82:
5) 2-15-79 Bruin basketball team was trailing ASU by four points with nine seconds left and ASU had the ball. The Bruins pressed and the Sun Devils missed on a full court pass so the Bruins got the ball under the ASU basket. Roy Hamilton missed a shot but David Greenwood got his hands on the rebound and there was a jump ball. Roy Hamilton received the tip on the jump ball, was fouled and made two free throws. After ASU attempted to throw the ball in, Kiki Vandeweghe intercepted the pass and was fouled as he attempted to shoot. Vandeweghe made both free throws to tie the score. ASU attempted a last shot and Brad Holland was fouled when he raced to get the rebound just before the clock expired. Holland made the free throws and the Bruins won 85-83. One of my friends at KLA was supposed to interview ASU coach Ned Wulk after the game. It was not a pleasant interview.
4) 2-6-79 UCLA First Basemen Pat Dodson drove in the winning run with a single in the Bottom of the tenth for his fourth RBI to beat USC 6-5. The Bruins went on to sweep the Trojans and win the Pac-10 to qualify for the regionals for the first time since 1969.
3) 10-4-1980 UCLA which was ranked #11 went to Columbus and shut out #2 ranked Ohio State 17-0. Irv Eatman had four tackles for losses during the game, and the Buckeyes gained a total of only 230 yards in the game. Kenney Easley got tossed for allegedly taking a swing at a sideline photographer but other than that everything went great for the Bruins.
2) 3-9-1980 UCLA barely qualified for the regionals that year after finishing 4th in the Pac-10. There were 48 teams that qualified that year and it was suggested that UCLA was the 48th team. In the first round they had to play De Paul which was ranked 1 in the nation going into the tournament. The year before the Bruins had been upset in the regional final by De Paul which deprived the Bruins of the opportunity to play against Larry Bird and Indiana State in the Final Four. In 1980 Rocket Rod Foster had 18 points and Mike Sanders had 15 points and 12 rebounds. After beating De Paul 77-71 the Bruins beat Oho State and Clemson to qualify for the Final Four.
1) 11-23-1980 going into the SC game that year the Bruins had lost four straight games to the Trojans. It was not looking good for the Bruins trailing 17-14 in the fourth quarter with the Bruins having the ball on their own 42. The USC band had spent most of the game playing “Another one bites the dust”. Jay Schroeder went back to pass and threw long for Freeman McNeil. Jeff Fisher of USC tipped the pass up in the air and it came down in the waiting arms of McNeil who raced past Dennis Smith for what turned out to be the winning touchdown. The UCLA side of the Coliseum, (Bruins were on the North half of the Coliseum, Trojans were on the South) was delirious. The UCLA band played “Another one bites the dust” for what seemed like thirty minutes straight after the game. I had to wait about an hour to get out of the parking structure after the game. After seeing the Bruins finally beat the Trojans I was so happy I did not care!