From Rocky Top Talk, where unlike USC they admit there's a problem and are trying to deal with it:
The Default Setting is "Blame Kiffin"
...which is fun, but it's also easy. And the easy answers are rarely the right ones.
It is worth pointing out, however, the fate of Kiffin's February 2009 signing class, which we praised for its excellence at the last minute:
(List sorted by Rivals ranking) <see the story above for all the entries; the following are the lowlights>
- #2 Janzen Jackson: involved with robbery at Pilot, but charges dropped; reportedly was present at the Bar Knoxville fight, but walked away
- #4 Nu'Keese Richardson: dismissed from team after robbery at Pilot, making a strong case for worst judgment in a crowded field with this class
- #5 Marlon Walls: idefinitely suspended today in relation to Bar Knoxville fight
- #7 James Green: did not qualify
- #8 Darren Myles: dismissed from team after second arrest in four months, evaded and resisted arrest before assaulting a police officer after Bar Knoxville fight
- #12 Mike Edwards: dismissed from team after robbery at Pilot
- #13 Daniel Hood: redshirt, prior issues
- #15 Greg King: indefinitely suspended today in relation to Bar Knoxville fight
- #17 Nyshier Oliver: cited for shoplifting last fall
Of Kiffin's 22 signees, six of the top twelve are either not with the team or are on indefinite suspension. Ed Orgeron's infamous "We're not angels, and we're not going to recruit angels" quote was quite right. <Under Lane's predecessor> the vast majority of his discipline problems did not involve such large groups of players at once, and did not involve such serious crimes. ...we've seen a third of our 2009 class run into serious problems, and they've only played one year.
So Garrett and Sample (or Sample and Garrett) know exactly what they should be expecting from their key hires (Lane & SCwreck).