I want to throw out a simple idea. Before, the idea, however, here is the general perception that I get, not necessarily from the BN headliners, but from the game thread and post-game thread dialogs, that make me think...
- Tyler Honeycutt only cares about himself and his NBA prospects.
- Reeves Nelson is selfish, emotional, and uncontrolled.
- Our team "doesn't try" for a full game.
- Our team is "physically deficient" compared to other teams; we just don't have the athletic prowess to match up with other teams because we don't have enough "lateral footspeed" or quickness.
- etc. I am not trying to be comprehensive here, just give a feel for the types of comments that have caused me to think.
- the motives and intents of our players, and
- the raw physical abilities of our players.
I wonder sometimes whether we become prisoners of our own conclusions that we jump to in watching sports. For example, in our final four years, at the time, I genuinely thought that we overachieved based on a relative "talent deficiency" to the other top teams. In hindsight, that was probably stupid, and the ability to coach six games in a row and be flexible to change defensive scheme for a five-shooter team was probably a lot more important.
Anyways...needed to get these thoughts out of my head, as frustrating as they can be I really like this team and don't want to sell short their potential or question their character. I believe Lee's leadership is shaping these other guys, and we will see less of the stupid comments that came out in this post-game in the future...