Spaulding Roundup - Welcome to the Brehaut Era

The UCLA football team returned to the practice field on Tuesday to prepare for the beginning of conference play.  It was also the official beginning of the Richard Brehaut era, as he took the field as the undisputed starting quarterback for the Bruins.

Brehaut took 70 percent of the snaps on Tuesday, with Kevin Prince and Brett Hundley splitting the remaining 30%. 

"It felt good," Brehaut said. "I felt like this is where I belong and I’ve been waiting for this opportunity since the day I stepped on campus here. I’m ready for it, I relish the opportunity to be the guy that takes this team and does what everyone doesn’t think we can do."

Offensive coordinator Mike Johnson was happy that Brehaut was named the starter, and expects the passing game to improve this weekend.

"It helps when you have one guy as far as the timing and the reps, especially from a passing standpoint," Johnson said. "You can focus on one guy and say this guy is going to be the guy and you start developing some sense of timing."

Improvement is always welcome.

More from practice...

On the injury front:

As for the issues with tackling, Jon Gold noted that the players were taking ownership of their tackling issues.  I hope to see the improvement this weekend.  I think I hoped the same last week also.  Fool me once..

However, the defense may be showing signs of coming together:

The maligned UCLA defense showed a sign of solidarity when, after Iuta Tepa intercepted a pass during team drills, they all chased after him and cheered around him in celebration. "We loved him up," defensive end Datone Jones said.

X
Log In Sign Up

forgot?
Log In Sign Up

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.

Join Bruins Nation

You must be a member of Bruins Nation to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Bruins Nation. You should read them.

Join Bruins Nation

You must be a member of Bruins Nation to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Bruins Nation. You should read them.

Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_9347_tracker