On the road again ... - Scott Halleran
Col-lege foot-ball, col-lege foot-ball, col-lege foot-ball!!
The great thing about our game being the latest start time in the nation (actually, Fresno v Nevada starts 5 minutes after us, but close enough) is that we have the entire day to prepare. Which means, we must watch as many college football games as is humanly possible. This will also require nachos, wings, burgers, and drinks to keep up our strength. Be strong Bruins. We have a long day ahead. Pace yourselves.
The complete schedule for the day is here. There are only 3 matchups between top 25 teams today, and one of them is OSU @ Stanford. So in a week that is lacking much of the usual hype, let's look a some of the bigger games on tap, leading up to the biggest game of all in Pullman tonight
all times are Pacific
(24) Northwestern at Michigan - 9:00, ESPN These two teams are vying for the top spot in the Legends division of the Big Ten. But no matter the importance of the game, nor the history of the Big Ten, the division name Legends is still ridiculous
Wisconsin at Indiana - 9:00, ESPN2 These two teams are vying for the top spot in the Leaders division of the Big Ten. But no matter the importance of the game, nor the history of the Big Ten, the division name Leaders is still ridiculous
Louisiana-Layfayette at (6) Florida - 9:21 ESPN3/SEC Network Why? Even the start time is silly.
(15) Texas A&M at (1) Alabama - 12:30 CBS Alabama was done and falling from #1 last week, until LSU let them escape. They will have an easier test to keep their top spot at home this week against a tough A&M squad.
(2) Kansas State at TCU - 4:00 FOX The Wildcats will need a "quality" win to keep up appearances with Oregon breathing down their necks in the BCS race, and they aren't sure if their Heisman candidate QB will be ready to go today. TCU has only lost once at home this year. Hmm...
(21) Mississippi State at (7) LSU - 4:00 ESPN The other top 25 matchup today. LSU looks to rebound from that crushing loss last week when they had a lead in the final minute over #1 'Bama, in LSU. Mississippi State has lost their last two games to Bama and A&M. Which team recovers today?
(4) Notre Dame at Boston College - 5:00 ABC Lowly Pitt missed an OT field goal last week that would have beaten undefeated ND. BC beat an 8-0 ND in 2003. So do the Eagles have a chance today? Sadly, no.
Colorado at Arizona - 10:30, FX After last weekend's beatdown by our Bruins, the Arizona Wildcats have to be pleased to see the sacrificial Buffs coming to town. And speaking of sacrificial, no word yet on which QB's health UofA coach Rich Rodriguez will sacrifice this week.
(11) Oregon State at (14) Stanford - Noon, FOX This game has huge implications for second place in the Pac-12 North and maybe even the Rose Bowl. That, plus the obligatory Obama-OSU basketball link, and the variations of horrible references regarding Beavers gnawing down trees will make this game a media darling.
Arizona State at (19) Southern Cal - Noon, Pac-12 Network If a student manager deflates balls but no one gets the Pac-12 Network to see it, is it still a violation? ASU needs to break its annual end of season collapse. Go Sun Devils!
(3) Oregon at Cal - 7:30, ESPN The Ducks will put up their weekly 60+ points agains the Bears, but they will need to show a better defensive effort that laast week if they hope to jump KSU for the #2 spot in the BCS.
What are you watching? What are you thinking? What are you chowing? Spill it here.
This is our Saturday open thread. Free Shabazz.
Have at it. GO BRUINS!