Well not exactly. But the combination of Saturday's win over Washington and Colorado's loss at Oregon State gave the Bruins the 5th seed in this week's Pac-12 Conference Men's Basketball Tournament. While only the top-four seeds get to spend the first day of the tournament lounging at the team hotel, UCLA gets the next best thing - a game against a 12th seeded Southern Cal squad that ranks among the worst in Pac-10/12 history (6-25 overall, 1-17 Pac-12).
The Bruins Nation preview of that game and the tournament as a whole will come later in the week - for now, we can see that the Southern Cal game will give Coach Howland the opportunity to go deep into his bench, spreading the playing load and keeping the starters fresh for a run through a tournament field that has sorted out pretty well for the Bruins - with a second round game against Arizona, and the winner of that game facing Washington - UCLA won at home and lost by 2 points on the road against both teams. A championship game against Cal - the best team in the conference this year - would be a tough task, but with 3 days of momentum driving our players forward, certainly within their grasp.
Despite a trying regular season which saw two of the team's top players sidelined before the season really began, the UCLA Women's Basketball team also enters their tournament as the 5th seed. While they have a good shot at wining a game or two, a prospective Friday game against Stanford would be a tough task for any team in the country. As noted above, the Pac-12 tournament is a four-round format, with the top four seeds receiving first round byes. The schedule for the Men's and Women's tournaments are below the jump.
Pac-12 Men's Tournament - All games will be played at Staples Center. All Wednesday-Friday games will be televised by FSN, the Championship Game will air on CBS.
- Washington St. (8) v. Oregon St. (9) - 12:10pm PST
- UCLA (5) v. Southern Cal (12) - 2:40pm PST
- Stanford (7) v. Arizona St. (10) - 6:10pm PST
- Colorado (6) v. Utah (11) - 8:40 PST
- Washington (1) v. WSU/OSU - 12:10pm PST
- Arizona (4) v. UCLA/USC - 2:40pm PST
- California (2) v. Stanford/ASU - 6:10pm PST
- Oregon (3) v. Colorado/Utah - 8:40pm PST
- Washington... v. Arizona... - 6:10pm PST
- Cal... v. Oregon... - 8:40pm PST
- Pac-12 Championship Game - 3:10pm PST
Pac-12 Women's Tournament - Wednesday and Thursday games will be played at Galen Center and streamed online via the Pac-12 YouTube channel. Friday and Saturday games will be played at Staples Center and televised by FSN.
- Washington (8) v. Oregon (9) - 12pm PST
- UCLA (5) v. Arizona (12) - 2:15pm PST
- Utah (7) v. Colorado (10) - 5pm PST
- Oregon St. (6) v. Washington St. (11) - 7:15pm PST
- Stanford (1) v. UW/Oregon - 12pm PST
- Arizona St. (4) v. UCLA/Arizona - 2:15pm PST
- California (2) v. Utah/Colorado - 5pm PST
- Southern Cal (3) v. OSU/WSU - 7:15pm PST
- Stanford ... v. Arizona St ... - 12:10pm PST
- California ... v. Southern Cal ... - 2:40pm PST
- Pac-12 Championship Game - 11:30am PST