True freshman Kenny Walker (21) getting some action on Thursday night. Mandatory Credit: Brendan Maloney-US PRESSWIRE
Well as I mentioned yesterday - it's a good feeling to get ready for a whole day of college football action - with a UCLA team that is 1-0. The feeling is even better given for the first time in a while we saw a Bruin team that was not a total car-wreck (vespa clowns going through a car wash) and showed signs of improvement during the game giving us a little bit of hope.
I will put together an "Eye Test" on the Rice game but will not post till tomorrow. Let's enjoy the game actions throughout the country today one of which includes our next opponent. The key games of interest for us today:
- Notre Dame vs. Navy (6 a.m. PST, CBS)
- Miami (Ohio) at Ohio State (9 am, Big Ten Network)
- Ohio at Penn State (9 am, ESPN)
- Southern Miss at Nebraska (12:30 p.m., ABC or ESPN2) [CheekyBruin has a good post on this game here]
- Michigan vs. Alabama in Dallas (5 p.m. PST, ABC).
- Auburn vs. Clemson in Atlanta (4 p.m., ESPN)
- Hawai'i at Southern Cal (4:30 p.m., FOX).
- San Diego State at Washington (7:30 p.m., Pac-12 Network).
First of all, at least for this week I am not going to link anything from
the Los Angeles Trojan Times related to this game because of this. No page views for those clowns. As for the others:
- Peter Yoon from ESPNLA gave out his grades for UCLA after the Rice game. Jim Mora and his coaching staff got a "B".
- Avinash at Pacific Takes blogged about our game and described Coach Mora's first game as "chaotic" but "entertaining."
- Scott Reid from the OC Register recapped a "strong start" for UCLA against Rice and ended with the line from Mora saying, "this is fun".
- While we are talking about fun ICYMI the Rice marching band did a half time show during the UCLA game and it was pretty awesome.
- And speaking of Rice folks you should definitely read this post from BruinOwl14 ,a long time Bruin fan who happens to be a Rice alum. His Owl based perspective on Thursday night is certainly worth noting. We hope the Owls go on to have a solid season.
That's all I have for this early Saturday am - the first full Saturday of 2012 CFB season. Let's get this show on.