The weekend is finally here and it finally means we get to see our Bruins back in action after waiting for over a week. For those of you in sunny Southern California, it means a chance to see our Bruins back at home in the Rose Bowl for the first time in three weeks, so it should be a packed house for our second Pac-12 conference game of the season. Of course, the Bruins will be taking on the Berkeley Bears, with UCLA favored by 24.5 points against the woeful Bears. With Saturday here, let's take a look at some various bits and pieces of news from around the UCLA-iverse:
- In case you missed it, ESPN had a piece on Mora, his focus on today's game, and what happened last year at Memorial Stadium when the Bears demolished the Bruins 43-17, despite being a hapless 1-4. Despite season defining games against #5-ranked Stanford and #2-ranked Oregon coming up next, Mora says that after last year's beat-down in Berkeley, he and his team are 100% focused on today's game and getting a second conference win.
- Two of today's key players on offense - Brett Hundley and Paul Perkins - were the focus of an article in yesterday's Los Angeles Times. The duo, both from Chandler, Arizona, have been together since childhood, when they both ran for the same youth track club. And to no surprise, the dorm suitemates and backfield-mates can't agree on who is faster. Sounds like a pretty good problem for the Bruins to have.
- Taking a look at how the Northern California media are looking at the game, the San Francisco Chronicle is taking note of the Bears hoping they can repeat last year's big upset over our Bruins, with Bear QB Jared Goff "excited" for a chance to play in the Rose Bowl today. So, the Bruins should expect a fired-up Bears team looking for a big win to turn around their (so-far) moribund season.
Alright folks, those are your various bits and pieces of Saturday morning news from around the UCLA-iverse. Let's take a look at the games that are on tap during the morning as we count down the hours until our Bruins take on the Bears at the Rose Bowl (all times are in PST):
- Missouri (#25) at Georgia (#7) - 9 a.m., EPSN: Missouri has jumped out to a 5-0 start and are ranked for the first time this year, and will take on a Georgia Bulldog team fresh off a close win in Knoxville in a big SEC match-up.
- Oklahoma (#12) at Texas - 9 a.m., ABC: It's one of the biggest rivalries in college football and the Red River Shootout gets underway for the 108th time this morning as the Sooners look to help pile on the misery in what could be Mack Brown's final season in Austin.
- South Carolina (#14) at Arkansas - 9:21 a.m., ESPN3: The Jadeveon Clowney show comes to Arkansas, with the Hogs looking to get their first conference win of the season. The question remains whether the Gamecocks can focus on football with the sideshow surrounding their biggest star.
Those are the notable games for the morning slate (sorry, the rest were lame), but if you need something to keep you busy, you can read up on the everything for our game in the hub here, read the Bears' previews here, scan how the Bruins have been gearing up for today's game, or get your pre-game guesses in here. Fire away in the open thread for the morning slate of games.