Last week was really exciting as we prepared for Stanford. This week some of the air has been taken out of our sails as many of us felt disappointed that we didn't meet the challenge and the opportunity that last Saturday offered. So this week how are you feeling as our Bruins get ready for an even bigger challenge against the #3 Ducks in Eugene? I am feeling more apprehensive this week than last and need to remind myself that each game must be played before declaring a winner. I am expecting our Bruins to come out much more focused this week, able to overcome the penalty bug, and hope they will run Malcolm more, get a lot more offense, and have no more injuries. If they can do that, UCLA can win.
There are many notes to read leading into the Oregon game and some thoughts about what our team needs to do better to win. We would love to hear your thoughts about our upcoming game, as well as give you a place to organize/find UCLA-Duck watch parties (no not the bird watching trips at UCLA), and view Thursday and Friday nights' games together.
But first, as usual, I would like to share something a bit different. UCLA engineering school is working with LACMA to help preserve the Watts Towers. If you have never seen the Watts Towers, or even if you have, you get an amazing view of parts of the tower up close that people never get to see. Enjoy this intersection of Art and Engineering!
This is a beautiful example of the excellence that is created when spirit, care, hard work, intelligence, and imagination come together. I think this is what is happening with UCLA football and hope it will continue to improve until this team becomes one that will leave a lasting impression.
Ducks Watch Parties:
Watch parties are a great way to share the football experience and meet other Bruin fanatics when you can't get to the game. We are starting this thread early so that Bruins can organize watch parties and post others that we do not know about. The parties listed below were found on the UCLA alumni network websites. Other alumni groups (e.g. Seattle, Chicago, Boston) use facebook to organize and list events, so check them out. You might also want to go to the site for regional UCLA alumni networks. Each group has a contact address that might be a great place to get a party started. Of course, this thread is also a great place to get a party started.
Some of the viewing party organizers are requesting an RSVP. So please click the link to your area's party for more information.
So here are some watch parties we know about:
Los Angeles Area:
- South Bay : San Pedro Brewing Co., 331 W. 6th St., San Pedro 90731, 4pm RSVP is suggested.
- Westside at Busby's West, 3110 Santa Monica Blvd, Santa Monica
- Orange County: More information about all three locations here:
- Newport Rib Company, 2196 Harbor Blvd, Costa Mesa, 3:30
- OC Sports Grill, 450 N. State College Blvd., Orange, 3:30
- The Surfin Cowboy, 34235 Doheny Park Rd., Capistrano Beach, 3:30
- Montebello: 116 East Beverly Blvd, Montebello, 90640
- Santa Clarita : Hot Wings Café, 24501 Town Center Drive, Suite 101, Valencia 91355
- Ventura County: Brendan's Pub 1755 East Daily Drive, Camarillo 93010
- San Francisco Bay Area:
The Old Pro, sports bar(www.oldpropa.com)
541 Ramona Ave., Palo Alto, 4 pm
- East BayLocation (Walnut): The Stadium Pub(www.the stadiumpub.com) 1420 Lincoln Avenue, Walnut Creek, 4 pm
- San Francisco: Bus Stop, 1901 Union Street, 4 pm
- San Diego: Randy Jones All American Sports Grill, 7510 Hazard Center Dr., 4 pm
- Sacramento: Morgan's Bar & Grill, 3348 S. Street, Sacramento 95816
- Phoenix: Half Moon Sports Grill - 2121 E Highland Ave, Phoenix, AZ
- Denver: Irish Snug near the Capitol Bldg: 1201 E. Colfax
- D.C.: Laughing Man Tavern, 1306 G St. NW, 7 pm ET
- NY Tri-State Area: Smithfield NYC, 215 W. 28th St., 7 pm ET
- Atlanta: Stooges Sports Bar & Grill, 857 Collier Road, Atlanta 30318
- Boston: The North Star, 222 Friend St., Boston, 02114
- Hawaii: The Shack Kailua, 1051 Keolu Drive, Kailua, HI 96734
- Las Vegas: Buffalo Wild Wings, 4280 S. Hualapai Way, Las Vegas 89147
- Oregon:To be determined.
To find all networks, click here.
Please let us know if there is a watch party organized and we will add it above. Also, if you want to get people together in your area just get it started below.
Thursday and Friday Night Games to Watch:
- Kentucky at Mississippi State, ESPN, 4:30 PT
- Marshall at Middle Tennessee, Fox Sports 1, 4:30 PT
Friday: Boise State at BYU, ESPN, 5pm PT
We hope you are having a great week and enjoy this thread.