This week our Bruins get ready for what could be a very tough game against the Huskies. If the Bruins hope to return to the Pac-12 championship game, they need to win this game. The players are pumped up and ready for a black out (unlike the athletic department that forgot to let anyone know). So put on your slimming black (HT Coach Mora) and go to the game or watch it with UCLA fans at a watch party near you.
As we watch the amazing young men out there playing, I think it is important to once again remember what makes UCLA special. We have been reminded, or maybe first learned about, the stark reality of the lack of African-American male students at UCLA. The Black Bruins under the direction of Sy Stokes made a powerful statement in this video, trying to wake the UCLA nation up to the current situation. Referring to the video, Stokes said:
Being the cousin of Arthur Ashe, I feel as though it is my responsibility to uphold the strong voices of the Black Bruin community...This school has experienced unacceptable instances of injustice recently, and many people are not aware of what is happening at this university.
Sy Stokes dedicated the video to Arthur Ashe and I thought it would be fitting to learn more about Arthur, his activism, his achievements, and his values. First, I found this incredibly moving short documentary about Arthur and his brother Johnnie. Johnnie served an extra tour in Vietnam (unbeknownst to Arthur), so that Arthur could continue his path, both as an athlete and as a man.
And a piece from an A&E video about Arthur Ashe that can be purchased.
Now on to some football.
Thursday night games:
- Georgia Tech at No. 8 Clemson (4:30 PT, ESPN)
- Marshall @ Tulsa (4:30 PT, FOX Sports 1)
Watch Parties: (Friday, 6 pm, ESPN2)
Here is your viewing party organizing thread where you can post viewing parties or organize one with others. Organizing a watch party is a great way to meet up with other Bruins in your area.
- Camarillo: Brendan's Irish Pub, 1755 Daily Dr., 6 pm
- San Francisco Bay Area: 6:00 pm
The Old Pro, sports bar(www.oldpropa.com)
541 Ramona Ave., Palo Alto,
- East BayLocation (Walnut): The Stadium Pub(www.the stadiumpub.com) 1420 Lincoln Avenue, Walnut Creek,
- San Francisco: Bus Stop, 1901 Union Street,
- Phoenix: Half Moon Sports Grill - 2121 E Highland Ave, Phoenix, AZ
- Denver: Irish Snug near the Capitol Bldg: 1201 E. Colfax (gbruin, please verify)
- D.C.: Laughing Man Tavern, 1306 G St. NW, 9 pm ET
- NY Tri-State Area: Smithfield NYC, 215 W. 28th St., 10 pm ET
- Boston: The North Star, 222 Friend St., Boston, 02114, 9:30 pm ET
- Portland, Oregon: Nicoli's Brill & Sports Bar, 17880 SW McEwan, Lake Oswego, Or.
- Chicago: Timmy O'Tooles, corner of Erie and Fairbanks, 10:30 ET
- To find a calendar of all network activities click here.
Please let us know if there is a watch party organized and we will add it above. Also, if you want to get people together in your area just get it started below. And if anything above has changed put it in the comment section. Thank you!
While you get ready for Friday's game, be sure to read all of our coverage leading into our game against UDub here. Enjoy this week's games and "Let's Go Bruins"!