In case you didn't know, this Myles Jack kid is pretty good. The question is whether or not he'll be good enough when the Bruins take on the Sun Devils this upcoming Saturday with the Pac-12 South crown on the line. Our conference foes from Party School State are still smarting from last season's 45-43 UCLA win in Tempe that featured Ka'imi Fairbairn kicking the game winner from 33 yards out as time expired. But the Bruins have some pretty elite talent, especially with
Superman Myles Jack playing on both sides of the ball. So, with the Bruins heading into the final home stretch, just two wins away from returning to Eugene, let's take a look at the various bits and pieces of news from around the UCLA-iverse:
- For a super-early preview of this Saturday's game, the Arizona Republic has a rough-outline of some of this Saturday's themes, taking note of UCLA "Doffense" package and the Pac-12 South being on the line at the Rose Bowl.
- And if you have DirecTV, you'll be pleased to find out this weekend's game will be televised on FOX rather than the Pac-12 Network, as the largest satellite carrier and the conference remain deadlocked in their inability to reach a deal to get the conference's network on DirecTV. Larry Scott sounds as if he's locked into his position, and it doesn't seem a deal is likely to come to fruition any time in the immediate future.
- Speaking of college football deals, Southern Cal apparently has the cash and willingness to make their new football head coach the highest paid in America, with $6 million annually being floated as a realistic possibility, which would surpass Nick Saban's currently-top salary of $5.4 million per year at Alabama. Although, you would think Jack Del Rio, Jeff Tedford, or Steve Sarkisian could be obtained for considerably less.
- Turning to some other end-of-the-season business, WWL has us projected to end up at the Holiday Bowl once again, with Oregon in the Rose Bowl and Stanford heading to the Alamo Bowl. Fun fact: there is a bowl game more lame than the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl - apparently there is a thing called the New Era Pinstripe Bowl (which Utah is projected to play in). Wow.
- If you watched this weekend's game, then you would have gotten a healthy dose of Myles Jack during the game, but afterward, senior linebacker/safety Stan McKay got all the headlines, proposing to his girlfriend on the Rose Bowl field with his teammates and Coach Mora looking on. Talk about some pressure, but it ended well for Stan, who will soon get to experience the "joy" of helping to pick out wedding invitations.
Alright folks, those are your bits and pieces of news from around the football-related UCLA-iverse. Fire away with your comments, additions, thoughts, etc. in the thread as we kick off yet another work week.