Hello everybody! It's been a while since my last post, and boy has a lot happened since then. With the bowl win, the return of Hundley, and the 18th ranked recruiting class according to 247sports, the Bruins have tremendous momentum going into next season. However, the recruiting cycle for this year is not over. Many targets of UCLA committed or not may commit to the Bruins. So get comfortable, sip some coffee, and get ready for the final list of recruits most likely to commit to the Bruins before Signing Day.
1. Joe Mixon, HB, 5-star, Oakley, CA
I know, I know. He is committed to Oklahoma, and we replaced him with 4-star HB Nathan Starks. But hey, the HB depth is really thin with the departures of Malcolm Jones and Damien Thigpen, and plus UCLA is closer to home. If you watched his committment at the Army All-American Bowl, he stated that his major reason for choosing the Sooners was their Sugar Bowl win. I think that he got caught up in the moment and was tempted by the football devil to join the Sooners. Let's hope the football Gods can change his mind.
2. Kolton Miller, OT, 4-star, Roseville, CA
The Bruins need more depth on the offensive line. Period. There is no question about it. The Bruins' line started 3 freshamn last year, and while they did a tremendous, job, Xavier Su'a-filo needs to be replaced. Miller recently took an official visit to Westwood January 17th, and I believe that he could commit shortly.
3. Aaron Sharp, DT-QB, 3-star, Humble, TX
The Bruins are making a late push to add QB depth, especially with the transfer of T.J. Milweard and the almost certain departure of Brett Hundley at the end of next season. It seems as if the Bruins are sticking to the Dual-Threat QB, and hey, if it works, why not? As of what we have seen as of late, it works. Sharp took an official visit January 17th.
4. Kenny Young, ILB, 4-star, New Orleans, LA
Young is slated to take an official visit January 31st with fellow high school teammates and UCLA targets Mattrell McGraw (S) and Malchi Dupre (WR). Along with former Alabama-commit Zach Whitley, Young would battle with Whitley for the starting spot to replace Anthony Barr. Yes, those are big shoes to fill, but Young fits Barr's mental and physical attributes. I am saying it right here, right now. Kenny Young is the next Anthony Barr.
Just Missed the Cut:
Malachi Dupre (WR)- He is probably down to LSU and UCLA, and LSU will be too tempting to pass up. Although, he could be made a star by Brett Hundley. Its 50/50 here.
Mattrell McGraw (S)- Teammate of Dupre and Young, he is down to LSU, Oregon, and UCLA. Could go any way for him, as he has not hinted at any signs of committing to any program.
Nick Gates (OG)- A four star out of Las Vegas, UCLA gave him a late offer. He is also interested in Texas A&M and Oregon. Tough call here.
Damien Mama (OG)- Five-star guard out of St. John Bosco, he is most probably going to choose between USC and UCLA. Can't see him going to UCLA, but it is still possible.
Rashaan Evans (ILB)- An equivalent of Anthony Barr (perhaps even better), the Bruins are part of his final three, along with Auburn and Alabama. It will be very tough to sway him to come out to California, as he lives in Alabama, especially with the departure of D-Coordinator Lou Spanos.
Players to Forget About:
QB Brad Kaaya- He goes to my high school, and from what I have heard, he is firm on Miami.
ATH Budda Baker- A decommit of Oregon, Myles Jack's former teammate is a favorite to commit to Washington, where his highschool is not too far from.
ATH John Smith- A five star out of Long Beach Poly, he is a USC lean, and I believe he will go there as well. Forget about it.
ATH Adoree Jackson- Although fellow teammates Dwight Williams and Jordan Lasley are UCLA commits, he is still only down to six schools, USC and UCLA included. No way he goes to UCLA, though.
In Other News...
1. Lou Spanos recently accepted a job to be a LB coach for the Tennessee Titans. I whsh him luck and thank him for turning the once-abysmal UCLA defense into a LB University.
2. HB Marlon Mack decommitted from the Bruins, and that is a huge blow to the Bruins. Even though his character was in question, he would have been a huge boost to the Bruins' backfield. He is projected to go to Michigan.
3. Five-star CB Marlon Humphrey is, surprisingly, taking a late official visit to Westwood to check it out. He'll probably go to FSU, though.
4. Former 5-star HB and Alabama commit Alvin Kamara (Freshman) has decided to transfer from Alabama and his top school is UCLA. He would add an instant boost to UCLA's running game. If he transfers, he would be allowed to enroll for the Spring Semester, and play as a Sophomore the upcoming season.