The Hoosier Loser's basketball squad has thankfully been on a hiatus all week, gearing up for a cross-town show-down with the laughably pathetic JustSC squad. Despite Andy Enfield's propensity to run his mouth like he's a big-time coach, his pathetic Southern Cal Trojan squad finds itself at the very bottom of a laughably weak Pac-12 conference, with a whopping one conference win (over the almost as LOL-worthy Berkeley Bears). So, given the talent disparity between the Bruins and the Second Choice hoopsters, this should be a complete and total blow-out. You know, kind of like what happened earlier this year, when UCLA smashed Enfield's Trojans 107-73.
But of course, don't count out the Hoosier Loser. He's bound and determined to under-perform this season, with the Bruins struggling to run away in a pathetically weak conference that only features one good team: the Arizona Wildcats. So, don't be surprised if the ol' nepotism strikes again and we see Bryce (you know, the guy who got a scholarship at one of the nation's blue-blood hoops program, and got recruited by exactly two schools, both coached by his dad) get extended minutes at the expense of guys who actually know how to play basketball. It'll probably be much closer than it should be since Alford is a garbage coach (but hey, at least he can join the exclusive club of men who performed firsts for Harvard), but if the Bruins should be able to put this one away without any real threat.
With that said, let's take a look at the various bits and pieces of news for this Saturday game-day as we get ready for our Bruins to take on JustSC this evening at the Costco Center across town:
- Beginning with a non-UCLA note, the Winter Olympics in Sochi are well underway, and the first medals to get handed out came in the new men's slopestyle event today. And of course, Team USA got on the gold medal podium first, with Idaho native Sage Kotsenburg taking home the first Olympic gold from Sochi. Let's keep it going Team USA!
- As for the game itself, the odds are well in UCLA's favor, with odds ranging anywhere from favoring the Bruins by 12.5 points to 8.5 points.
- If you want to see an absolute bare minimum preview of tonight's game, check out the Los Angeles Times'' "preview" of the match-up tonight. Isn't it amazing that there are still people who pay real cash money for the newspaper still? Man, talk about a sucker born every minute.
- How pathetic is the Los Angeles Times' "preview"? Even Chianti Dan's inept Morgan Center has a better game preview than the alleged biggest newspaper in the Southland. You can check out UCLA Athletics' official game preview here.
- Finally, if you're like me and completely tuned out of a joyless hoops season thanks to Chianti Dan hiring a scumbag for our hoops head coach (who also happens to be a decidedly mediocre basketball coach), you can get caught up to speed on the season's shortcomings in long-time BN member chrisorr's excellent post on whether the season is on the brink of being beyond irretrievable failure.
Alright folks, those are your bits and pieces of news from around the UCLA-iverse as we gear up for tonight's game against the joke squad from across town. It'll be a poorly coached affair from both sides, so if you're not feeling like driving over to Southern Cal's campus (you know, where students get murdered and then their families sue for Southern Cal misrepresenting the security situation around their campus), you can always head down to Venice Beach and catch a pick-up game - the level of coaching and quality of play will be about the same. Plus, it's free!