Kevin Modesti of the Daily News has a column on Karl Dorrell, that gives us with yet another example of why so many of us have lost confidence in the role of traditional sports media in Southern California. Modesti basically tries to advance an argument (completely ignoring all the real/big picture numbers of Karl Dorrell era) that to succeed as the UCLA head coach, all KD needs to do is to give us an exciting football team.
He starts with this nonsense:
By winning, Dorrell said Monday, the Bruins can "get ourselves in position to do great things."
As important, by just showing some spark, the Bruins can put fans in a mood to keep watching them.
Modesti than goes on to write that to succeed at UCLA all KD needs to do is come up with a rousing team:
UCLA's 10-2 record in Dorrell's third season was a huge step. As was the way the 2005 team kept winning from behind with explosive offense, Drew Olson throwing 13touchdown passes of between 21 and 91 yards, six of those going to wide receivers. If that team wasn't as good as its record, at least you had to give it credit for excitement.
And the Modesti had to throw in this nonsense:
- he is winless against Southern Cal
- hasn't beaten a winning team (or a ranked one) on the road
- doesn't have any big marquee wins in his four year career
- has given us offense which has been a disaster 3 out of his 4 years in Westwood (and even last year's offense was arguably ineffective because in so many games it as plodding and sputtering in first 3 quarters before exploding in desperation/comeback mode in the later moments of the games)
- constantly makes foolish excuses or blames others for his total incompetent game management week after week
- has embarrassed and humiliated the football program
Again I like to know what does race have to do with those facts and why it is even being injected in the discussion.
"We need to get on the same page," Dorrell said. "We're just not getting it done."
This is yet another column that kind of typifies how most of the traditional media in Southern California are either stupid or lazy or uninformed or intentionally trying to get across the wrong POV to the general public. Or perhaps in this case Modesti's asinine column has to do with the fact that he is an alum of Southern Cal and he is probably enjoying nothing more than watching Dorrell turn UCLA into Southern Cal's permanent football b!tch. It's probably not in his interest to tell the real story about why majority of the Bruins Nation is unhappy with Karl Dorrell because gosh you know it may put some pressure on Morgan Center to think about doing something right and take steps to get rid of the cancer that is killing the UCLA football program.