Doesn’t it feel like a weight has been lifted off our collective shoulders?
The UCLA Bruins were able to secure their first victory of the season last week when they beat the brakes off of a fading UC Berkeley squad. Now the Bruins will look to continue that positive momentum against another fading team in the Arizona Wildcats, who will be without starter Khalil Tate. Can the Bruins continue their positive momentum? Can Dorian Thompson-Robinson and the Bruin offense continue their run of efficient play? And can the defense show they can stop a backup quarterback for what feels like the first time in forever?
Let’s look at the keys to the Game.
Keys to the Game
- Continued Progress. Ok, this is a cheat, because I used it last week as well, but it remains true. This is a rebuilding season, and more than anything else, showing continued progression is the biggest positive this team can exhibit. It doesn’t hurt that if this team does show progress in this game, they should win comfortably.
- Create Havoc. The UCLA defense was able to create 5 turnovers against UC Berkeley, an impressive number to be sure, though 4 of those came in the 4th quarter when the Golden Bears were forced to try and throw the ball. Still, with Arizona starting a backup quarterback this week, doing things like forcing turnovers, breaking up passes, and forcing negative plays will be crucial.
- Limit Mistakes. Similar to #2, but this time for the UCLA offense. The Bruins played fairly mistake-free last week, with no turnovers and only a few negative plays. Against a Wildcats defense that really has nothing to lose at this point in the year, as long as the Bruins limit their mistakes, they should be able to move the ball.
Here’s how to watch, listen and stream this week’s game.
How To Watch, Listen, Stream and More
- Saturday, October 20, 2018, 7:30 P.M. PT
- Rose Bowl, Pasadena, CA
- ESPN2 with Roy Philpott, Tom Ramsey, and Edward Aschoff
- 570 AM/1150 AM in Los Angeles and 97.3 FM in San Diego with Josh Lewin, Matt Stevens and Wayne Cook
- Satellite Radio: Sirius Channel 146 & XM Channel 198 (UCLA Call)
- And, of course, the Bruins Nation Game Thread!!!
- WatchESPN.com and the ESPN App