Whether you think the grade from the Eye Test was high or spot on, there’s little doubt that Chip Kelly’s debut was less than stellar.
The Bruins now head to Norman, Oklahoma to face the Sooners in what may be their toughest game of the year. While questions may abound for the Bruins and while Bruin fans may give the team little chance for success, there are a few things which will need to happen if the Bruins have any chance at all tomorrow.
Keys to the Game
- Play solid defense. For three quarters last week, the Bruin defense looked much improved over last year. There were blitzes, turnovers and even halftime adjustments — all of which were missing last season. So, if UCLA is to have a chance against the Sooners, the Bruin defense will need to play well.
- Get the offense the ball with decent field position. Last week, the UCLA offense kept getting the ball deep in their own territory. After watching the Bruins’ offensive performance last week, it’s clear that UCLA needs to get the ball back in much better field position than they did last week. That could mean that the defense stops Oklahoma’s drives early or it could mean that they generate more turnovers. It doesn’t matter which happens. The Bruins just need to start from a better spot than they did last week.
- Offensive execution. Simply put, the offense needs to execute. Chip Kelly cannot stand on the sidelines and watch Dorian Thompson-Robinson overthrow or underthrow his receivers on play after play. If playing time is earned based on performance, then it also needs to be unearned based on performance as well, regardless of who starts at quarterback.
Here’s how to watch, listen and stream this week’s game.
How To Watch, Listen, Stream and More
- Saturday, September 8, 2018, 10:00 am PT
- Gaylord Family - Oklahoma Memorial Stadium, Norman, OK
- FOX with Gus Johnson, Joel Klatt and Jenny Taft
- AM 570/1150 AM in Los Angeles and 97.3 FM in San Diego with Josh Lewin, Matt Stevens and Wayne Cook
- National Radio: Westwood One with Ryan Radtke and Derek Rackley
- Satellite Radio: Sirius Channel 136 & XM Channel 198 (UCLA Call)
- And, of course, the Bruins Nation Game Thread!!!
- FoxSportsGo.com and the Fox Sports Go App
Rebroadcast (All times PT):
- Sunday, 9/9, 9:00 pm on FS1
- Monday, 9/10, 6:00 am on FS2
- Monday, 9/10, 10:00 am on FCS Pacific
- Monday, 9/10, 1:00 pm on Fox Sports West
- Monday, 9/10, 3:00 pm on FCS Central
- Monday, 9/10, 5:00 pm on Prime Ticket
- Tuesday, 9/11, 12:00 am on FCS Central
- Tuesday, 9/11, 12:30 am on FS1
- Tuesday, 9/11, 3:00 am on FS2
- Tuesday, 9/11, 9:00 am on FCS Pacific
- Tuesday, 9/11, 11:00 am on Prime Ticket
- Tuesday, 9/11, 9:00 pm on FCS Atlantic
- Wednesday, 9/12, 8:00 am on Fox Sports West
- Wednesday, 9/12, 3:00 pm on FCS Pacific
- Thursday, 9/13, 12:00 am on FCS Central
- Thursday, 9/13, 6:00 am on FCS Pacific
- Thursday, 9/13, 12:00 pm on FCS Atlantic
- Friday, 9/14, 3:00 am on FCS Pacific
- Friday, 9/14, 12:00 pm on FCS Central