The UCLA Football team has a lot to work on this week, especially on offense. Yesterday, the players and coaches watched tape and, according to Jordan Payton, began fixing things.
Let's start with the defense that did get off to a good start Saturday. Eric Kendricks had 16 tackles, forced a fumble (which resulted in a td), and had a pick-six. He was named Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Week and the Walter Camp National Defensive Player of the Week. But despite his effort, according to Jack Wang at InsideSocal, Kendricks wasn't satisfied with his performance:
- When Kendricks watched the film he could see that he made many mistakes that he normally wouldn't make. Reporter said, maybe you could have had 25 tackles. Eric's response, or maybe a sack.
- On the difference in Myles Jack, who had 13 tackles, from last year: he's "salty in the run gap". Eric said everyone is really gap sound this year and doing their job.
- On the Kenny's: Kenny Clark, not everyone has a nose tackle that gets eight tackles. And Freshman Kenny Young, played really well according to Eric with just a few mistakes. When asked if Young is relying on EK, he said he's "on his own - solid".
- As for the d outscoring the o: "It was surprising, but at the same time it wasn't surprising, because I know how hard these guys have been working"
- You could see EK is happy to be playing with Owa who he says is "tackling the mesh" and was in the back field on every play and got a lot of touches on the QB. The whole d-line played exceptionally well on pass rushing, EK said, and the proof is in the film, not in the stats. EK praised Deon Hollins for "holding the point extremely well" which I imagine is really difficult to do when you're "flying to the ball with his hair on fire".
- I love this guy!
Once we got them moving one way, we came back under another way and four guys were in (Lambert’s) face," Odighizuwa said. "He had to make a decision: ‘Either I get sacked by four guys, or I throw the ball now.’ He so happened to throw it right into Eric Kendricks’ hands.
DE Owa on his first game back: "It was exciting...It was everything, and more." pic.twitter.com/u0rpBc9aj6— Chris Kalra (@chriskalra) September 1, 2014
WR Jordan Payton, on UCLA's D scoring 3 TDs: "They've been talking about that for a few days now." CB Ish Adams: "You've gotta let em know."— Jack Wang (@thejackwang) September 1, 2014