The Bruins travel to Memphis for their first road game of the season. On paper, this could be a tough game. But, that was the assessment before Josh Rosen launched his Heisman campaign in the second half of the A&M game and continued it in the Hawai’i game. Hopefully, we see more of our base defense in order to stop the Tiger running backs, who amassed over 300 yards against Louisiana-Monroe.
Keys to the Game
The Hawai’i game certainly showed off the offense again. When you’re scoring touchdown after touchdown, it’s hard for the other team to keep up. But each week is different and the Bruins still need to execute for a full sixty minutes.
- Stop the run. The Bruin defense needs to do a better job stopping the run. If they can stop the run, it will force Memphis to pass and our secondary is one of the best in the country, but no one will see that if the Tigers run all over us like Texas A&M did. This could prove harder than it sounds until we see whether Kenny Young is able to play since UCLA will already be missing Josh Woods for the first half.
- The offense line needs to control the line of scrimmage. This is combining two of our keys to the first two games. By controlling the line of scrimmage, the line will keep Josh Rosen upright and open up holes for the Bruin running backs. “Line wins games.”
- Keep the punter off the field. Repeat after me: “Punt the ball five times or less.” Last week, we punted just once. This should be a season-long goal here, because, for the most part, it means that they are moving the ball well enough to win the game and the best defense is, after all, a good offense.
Here’s how to watch, listen and stream today’s game.
How To Watch, Listen, Stream and More
- Saturday, September 16, 2017, 9:00 am PT
- Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium, Memphis, TN
- ABC with Beth Mowins, Anthony Becht and Rocky Boiman
- 1150 AM in Los Angeles with Josh Lewin, Matt Stevens and Wayne Cook
- Satellite Radio: Sirius Channel 145 & XM Channel 197 (UCLA Call)
- And, of course, the Bruins Nation Game Thread!!!
- WatchESPN.com and the ESPN App
Rebroadcast (All times PT):
- Tuesday, 9/19, 12:00 am on ESPNU