UCLA wraps up Spring Football Practice today with the 2016 Spring Showcase at Drake Stadium on campus today at 11:30am PT.
The hour-and-a-half long event will be followed by an autograph session for fans. Personally, I'd expect the autograph session to last about a half-hour as there is a 24-hour walk-a-thon scheduled at Drake and is set to begin at 2pm, leaving just an hour after the scheduled end time for the Showcase and the start of the Relay for Life of UCLA.
As you watch today's Showcase, there are several things to key an eye on.
The first thing to look for is the play of the offensive line during 11-on-11 and 9-on-7 drills. The offensive line has lost a lot of the depth it was expected to have last year and the interior line needs to keep making progress for the offense to be effective.
The second thing to look for is the play of the defensive line. What kind of penetration are they getting? How effective are they stopping the run compared to last year.
Of course, in the case of both units, it will be difficult to tell just how good they really are until they start going up against real opponents come September, but this will be the best opportunity you'll have until then.
The third thing to look for is the play of the new guys and the play of guys who have changed positions, especially Theo Howard and Ishmael Adams on offense and Nick Terry and Lokeni Toailoa on defense. Newcomers Mique Juarez and Breland Brandt aren't likely to see much live action today due to injuries they've had through the Spring and Coach Mora will likely keep them out of action.
Finally, look for the new schemes. In scrimmage scenarios, watch the offensive play what has been called "downhill" football and keep an eye on the defense in the new 4-3 set. Defensive Coordinator Tom Bradley ran the 4-3 at Penn State and I think the change will, ultimately, prove more effective at stopping the run.
Now, what should you do if you can't make it to campus this morning? Well, the Pac-12 Networks will televise the Showcase on Pac-12 LA.
How To Watch & Stream
UCLA Spring Showcase Date/Time:
- Saturday, April 23, 2016, 11:30 am PT
- Marshall Field at Drake Stadium, UCLA Campus, Los Angeles, CA
- Pac-12 Los Angeles
Pac-12.com and the Pac-12 Now app
Rebroadcast (All times PT):
- Saturday, 4/23 8:30 pm on Pac-12 National
- Saturday, 4/23 8:30 pm on Pac-12 Los Angeles
- Sunday, 4/24 6:00 am on Pac-12 Los Angeles
- Sunday, 4/24 3:00 pm on Pac-12 Los Angeles
- Monday, 4/25 5:00 pm on Pac-12 National
- Tuesday, 4/26 10:00 am on Pac-12 National
- Wednesday, 4/27 8:30 am on Pac-12 Los Angeles
- Thursday, 4/28 8:00 am on Pac-12 Los Angeles
- Thursday, 4/28 5:00 pm on Pac-12 Los Angeles
- Friday, 4/29 3:00 pm on Pac-12 National
- Saturday, 4/30 9:00 pm on Pac-12 Los Angeles
- Tuesday, 5/3 4:00 am on Pac-12 Los Angeles
- Wednesday, 5/4 4:00 pm on Pac-12 Los Angeles
This is your Spring Showcase Open Thread.