I’m just going to list things that happened in the first half, because this is the dumbest game I can remember watching:
- UCLA called a timeout on offense on the first drive because they only had 10 men on the field.
- UCLA and Utah then traded timeouts on the first defensive possession.
- Utah was forced to call timeout to avoid a delay of game, and then came out of the timeout only to get a 12 men in the huddle penalty.
- After two defensive stops, UCLA sold out to block the punt, and Mossi Johnson decided to try and return the kick despite having no blockers. He ended up fumbling the ball to Utah.
- On first and goal from the three, UCLA only had 3 defensive lineman. Utah, naturally, ran in for a touchdown.
- At one point, I found myself wondering if either team had actually gained yards, because Utah and UCLA started trading drives where they only moved backwards.
- Utah, a team playing at home, finally started moving the ball, which wasn’t surprising considering our defense was also on the field.
- LET DEVON MODSTER THROW!
- ALSO FREE THEO HOWARD!
- No, but seriously, this game is real dumb.
Here’s a look at the stats at the half:
You’ll notice there that Devon Modster is a perfect 7-7 for 101 yards and a touchdown (and, critically, no turnovers of any kind). The Bruins have actually been pretty decent at running the ball against what is normally a stout Utah defensive front, but they’ll need to pass the ball more to open up the running lanes and prevent Utah from crowding the box.
For how dumb this game is, UCLA looks like it could potentially win this game. Utah has not looked crisp in the slightest, and this game would be tied if not for an incredibly bad turnover on special teams.
This is your second half thread.