Happy Friday, Bruins! I wish you all well as you push through to the end of another long workweek and head into the weekend. While you do so, check out What’s Bruin with UCLA athletics.
National Signing Day was on Wednesday and, although most schools signed the bulk of their players in December’s Early Signing Period, the book was closed on 2019 recruiting. The pundits have come out and ESPN has given Chip Kelly’s 2019 class a “C” grade. In the Pac-12, Utah, Washington State and Arizona also received “C”s, with Oregon State getting a “C-.”
The #1 ranked UCLA softball team started the season right yesterday at the Hawaiian Paradise Classic in Honolulu, Hawai’i, eeking out a tight 2-1 win over UT Arlington, and then pounding Fresno State, 8-2, on the strength of a six-run second inning. Bubba Nickles went 2-3 in both games and drove in both UCLA runs in the UT Arlington game. The Bruins take on Hawai’i today at 9 pm PT.
The #4 UCLA men’s volleyball team (9-2, 1-0) opened up conference play last night with a thrilling, five set victory over the #9 Stanford Cardinal at Pauley Pavilion. After going down one set to none, and then two sets to one, the Bruins took the fourth set, 26-24, and pulled away in the fifth set 15-10. Junior Daenan Gyimah has a career-high 25 kills.
The UCLA women’s basketball team (13-9, 6-4) faces the mountain schools on the road this weekend in Pac-12 play. First up are the Colorado Buffaloes (10-11, 0-10), who are winless in the conference. Tip-off is at 6 pm PT tonight. The Bruins have won four straight and will face Utah on Sunday, with a 11 am PT tip-off.
- Women’s gymnastics will be in Seattle on Sunday to take on the Washington Huskies at 3 p.m.
- The undefeated women’s water polo team is at the Triton Invitational this weekend in La Jolla. First up for the Bruins is Santa Clara on Saturday, with an 8 am start.
- Both men’s and women’s tennis are in action this weekend. The #7 ranked men face the Bay Area schools at the L.A. Tennis Center, with the Bruins squaring off with UC Berkeley today at 3 p.m. and Stanford tomorrow at 2 p.m. The #8 ranked women play South Carolina today at 10 a.m, at the National Team Indoor Championships in Seattle.
- Track and field is competing in two events this weekend, with most of the team participating in the Don Kirby Collegiate Invitational in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and the distance runners heading to Seattle for the Husky Classic.
- Omaha or bust! We are one week away from UCLA baseball, when St. John’s comes to town for a three-game weekend series at Jackie Robinson Stadium.
And that, my friends, is What’s Bruin in UCLA athletics. Have a great weekend and . . .