Last week, the Bruins played their most complete football game of the season so far with the defense holding strong (at least until Khalil Tate took the field), the offense waking up in the second half while getting a boost from the special teams as well. Tonight, they look to build on that momentum when they take on the ASU Sun Devils in Tempe.
The visiting team seems to have the upper hand in this matchup during the Jim Mora era and, if that holds true tonight, it would be good news for the Bruins.
Let's look at the keys to this week's game.
Keys To The Game
1. Rattle the Freshman QB
ASU comes into this week's game with a new starting quarterback due to a leg injury to starter Manny Wilkins during last week's game against Southern Cal. ASU Coach Todd Graham ruled Wilkins out yesterday. So, the Sun Devils will start freshman Brady White. White isn't as mobile as Wilkins which should make it easier for the Bruins defense. UCLA needs to keep the pressure on White to force him into making mistakes because mistakes lead to turnovers.
2. Stop the ASU Running Game
ASU is averaging over 200 yards per game on the ground. After last year's loss where Kalen Ballage willed himself to score late and considering that the Sun Devils are starting a very green QB, look for Todd Graham to try to use the running game to win the game and that's why the Bruin defense needs to stop the ASU running game.
3. Have Fun on Offense
Earlier this week, Josh Rosen spoke about not thinking too much on offense. Indeed. The offense needs to just go out there and have some fun. The ASU pass defense is one of the worst in the country. If Rosen and the offense just goes out there and reacts to what the defense is doing, the Bruins should put up at least as many points as last week.
How To Watch, Listen, Stream and More
- Saturday, October 8, 2016, 7:30 pm PT
- Sun Devil Stadium, Tempe, AZ
- Arizona State
- ESPN2 with Allen Bestwick, Mike Bellotti and Kris Budden
- 570 AM (or 1150 AM) in Los Angeles with Josh Lewin, Matt Stevens and Wayne Cook
- Satellite Radio: Sirius Channel 108 & XM Channel 193 (Arizona State Call)
- And, of course, the Bruins Nation Game Thread!!!
- WatchESPN.com and the ESPN App
Rebroadcast (All times PT):
- Monday, 10/10, 9:00 pm on Pac-12 Los Angeles and Arizona
- Monday, 10/10, 11:00 pm on Pac-12 Arizona
- Tuesday, 10/11, 12:00 am on Pac-12 Los Angeles
- Tuesday, 10/11, 1:00 am on Pac-12 Arizona
- Tuesday, 10/11, 5:00 am on Pac-12 Los Angeles and Arizona
- Tuesday, 10/11, 11:00 am on Pac-12 Los Angeles and Arizona
- Tuesday, 10/11, 4:00 pm on Pac-12 Los Angeles
- Tuesday, 10/11, 8:00 pm on Pac-12 National
- Tuesday, 10/11, 10:00 pm on ESPNU